Thursday, May 31, 2012

Psi-Ops the best videogame EVER!


This blog entry will be more of a boasting rant than a review. One of my most favorite games of all time is Midways Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy. I remember reading about this game in both Gameinformer and EGM back in 2003 prior its release in June of 2004. When I finally bought it (Used) a few months after its release I was in shock at how Midway perfectly integrated a fully third person adventurer balanced with platforming elements, super powers, and shooter elements. This game could have worked as either stand alone so the fact that you have an arsenal or psychic powers such as telekinesis, remote viewing, mind drain, mind control, pyrokenisis, ans aura view  makes you feel like a true video game version of Marvels Cable. In addition to the very diverse and upgradable psychic powers the game boasts a full arsenal of conventional shooter weapons such as grenades, machine guns, sniper riffles, pistols, and more.
The level designs were intuitive and very interactive with Nick's, the main characters, abilities. I remember having fun grabbing the weapons from the soldiers with telekinesis  then throwing them into giant spinning turbines or standing on a shard or metal while lifting it with telekinesis to access higher areas or just hover and shoot at people lol. The remote view allowed you to see ahead to impending threats and puzzels while mind control allowed you to take over the enemies minds to to tasks such as flip switches and cause diversions. I used to use to mind control the soldiers as snipers then have them jump to their deaths after I was done with them. :-P 
The game featured a simple co-op mode, concept art, bio-viewer, image and movie viewer, training simulations, Mortal Kombat game preview and more... Midway had years before they went under to do a sequel but never did. Games in later years that were inspired by Spi-Ops such as Prototype, Infamous, and even Bio Shock. I would play this game all the time on my ps2 and first gen backwards compatible PS3 until it went yellow light of death on me, now its just sits in my game collection until they make a sequel.
Whenever I play a video game I usually can go with either extreme of really loving it or hating it and I remember loving this game from the jump along with a few others such as  Rare's Jetforce Gemini, and Eidos's Blood Omen2 , both in which needs to be remade or given a sequels as well. -A.R.M.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment